Sunday, November 2, 2014

SIMC - Kentucky Style



Got me some good 'ole Southern hospitality recently. Mr. NE and I are fortunate to have friends who run a Bed and Breakfast in the city of Bardstown, Kentucky.  Several years ago, we were guests at "Shadowlawn" (Bardstown) where we enjoyed the company of old and new friends, and soaked up the history of a part of the country we had never seen.


The house was built in 1815 and has a plethora of historical information. It has weathered many owners who have shared stories every time the house was sold.  This house has charm and beauty no matter where you are standing or sitting. Oh, and did I mention that there are resident ghosts dwelling at Shadowlawn?  It is both welcoming and eerie at the same time.  The basement light must stay on 24/7.  Yes, there is electricity, as well as, toilets that flush.  A part of the attic has a locked door to a small area. My curiosity was not strong enough to find out what was on the other side of that door.  Actually, I was plain gutless. 


Downtown is small and charming.  One can walk around and see original buildings that have been renovated to become restaurants, shops and other B&Bs.  Houses that are on the National Historical Society list line each and every street. There are 100 year-old trees that line these same streets.  Oh, to be a branch on one of those trees over time, and watch how life has changed!


The most popular beverage is Bourbon.  We took a tour of a distillery and learned just how hard people still work to make a good product.  I did not test a sample at the end of the tour, but my friends did.  I enjoyed watching them smile as the velvet liquid worked its way through their system. No, they weren't drunk....just very happy.


What a wonderful weekend we had...away from the kids (the dog - the kids have been away from us for some time, now!).  It's a 6-hour drive from Chicago...just enough time to listen to a thriller of a book on tape..."Hold Tight" by Harlan Coben. 

I live in Chicago, Illinois...but sometimes I visit other places, like Bardstown, Kentucky!  Welcome to my city!

Please stop by Unknown Mami's Sundays in My City (even though it's now Monday) and read about some very lovely places that you may want to visit someday.

Thank you for stopping by today. 


6 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

I might be a little scared to sleep in that lovely home. I would need a shot of bourbon to put me at ease for sure.

Rhonda Albom said...

Looks like a cool place. I love that stair case. Nice to meet you. BTW - I was born in Chicago.
Visiting from Sunday's in my City.

Linda O'Connell said...

What a gorgeous old building. I am so nosy I WOULD want to see what was beyond that door. Sounds like a nice little town to visit. Thanks for the "road trip."

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

We drive through Kentucky a lot (on our way to the beach), but we stay further west. One of these trips when we have a couple of days to spare, I think we need to head east to Bardstown. Looks like a charming little town.

Jeanie said...

There is no hospitality like southern hospitality. The house looks wonderful. I would have passed on the whiskey but I wouldn't have minded meeting a ghost or two.

molly said...

That staircase is amazing... so beautiful

mollyxxx