Friday, July 31, 2015

90 and Not Even a Little Fragmented!




A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I was going to attend the 90th birthday party of a dear family member.  Alice Yasek, my mother's sister, has entered into her ninth decade, with the appearance and energy of a 60 year old!  Alice is an amazing woman who has never let anything or anyone stop her from living her life to the fullest.

Twice a week she swims at the Y.  She used to compete in a Masters Olympics program and has a roomful of medals to show off.  These medals are well-deserved!  Alice was a member of the 1940 Olympic Swim Team...part of US Olympic Team that did not participate that summer as the games were held in Germany...not really a safe place to be at the time.  My heart swells knowing how much disappointment was felt, but the safety of our athletes could not be argued.

In addition to regular exercise, Alice volunteers at her church thrift shop, drives for Meals on Wheels and finds time to stay in touch with many close friends.  Her five children are spread out over the United States (California, Washington, New York and Massachusetts) and she travels to see them as often as possible.  She became grandmother to my children (and mother to me) upon the passing of my mother 30 years ago.  I have been blessed to have her in my life, and so have my children.

My trip was a very fast, but extremely enjoyable, three day visit with Alice in her New York home.  I was able to visit with my cousins, as well as, see many of her friends.  We had a wonderful time celebrating with friends and family in the "party room" at her church.

Alice with Friends


What, no pony?

Sustenance!

The Best Part of the Day!


I was told that she slept for a week after everyone went home!  It was a wonderful day AND weekend for all concerned!

Please stop by A Star In My Own Universe and say hello as you read the Friday Fragments of other bloggers like me!  Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a wonderfully Fragmented Weekend!





Friday Fragments with Star


                                                                           

1 comment:

StarTraci said...

What a tremendous lady! Those 90 year old gals are something else. My maternal grandmother joined the ranks last month. I love that she embraced you and yours so dearly -- sounds like you are blessed to have her!
Thanks for fragging with me! And cute title, BTW>
:-)
Traci