Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Night 2012 - Sundays in My City



Founded in 1976 in Boston (1991 in St. Louis), First Night is a community celebration of the coming of the New Year expressed through the arts. First Night’s mission is to broaden and deepen the public’s appreciation of the arts through an innovative, diverse and high quality program which offers the community a shared cultural experience that is accessible and affordable to all. In order to maximize the participation of people of all ages, First Night is a non-alcoholic event.

I have yet to experience this wonderful event as the weather on New Year's Eve has mostly been very cold and wet. This year, there were acrobats, bands, parades, a performance of "Xanadu" at our lovely Fox Theater, food everywhere, face painting, bubble catching, art exhibits, both stationery and animated...to name a few. My favorite part of the entire event is that there is no alcohol, which makes it a real family event, and a great alternative to getting soused for the evening! For more information, click here.

I live in St. Louis, Missouri. Welcome to my city!

Thanks to Unknown Mami for sponsoring this wonderful blog which allows us to see parts of the world that we may not be able to visit. Please hop over to her blog by clicking on the logo below, and enjoy some amazing places.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a very happy and prosperous New Year!

Unknown Mami

7 comments:

Tara R. said...

Sounds like a fun bring to ring in the New Year.

Chris H said...

Glad you had a good New Years!

qandlequeen said...

I have never made it down to First Night. We decided we would rather camp out at someone's house and drink excessively. Now that everyone is whining that they can't drink like they used to maybe one day we'll take grandkids down for the party... once everyone has grandkids.

Claudya Martinez said...

Alcohol-free is not the same as free alcohol, is it? Happy New Year!

Vidya Sury said...

Very interesting! And love the photo in your header.

Happy New Year to you!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm sayin'!!! Down here in the Ozarks I've just been amazed at out weather.

I love it!!! I think I should of been a California girl! Heeehehe!

God bless ya and have a marvelous New Year sweetie!!! :o)

Judie said...

I think we have something like that in Tucson, but it involves dancing around a bonfire in diaphanous garments (weather permitting)and lighting paper lanterns that soar skyward. To participate one must bring non-perishable food items for the food bank. As for me, I participate in Girls Game Night (see my post), and we actually did do the lantern thing, but my camera's batteries quit before we had lift-off.

Happy New Year, Liz!!