Thursday, February 11, 2016

My Parents Met In Middle America




A re-post from February, 2013...

It has always fascinated me to learn how people get together, share a life, and produce a legacy for future generations.  Have you ever considered the "what ifs" that might have changed the course of your life?  I am convinced that a very well-thought out master plan is responsible for how we came about, even with all of the choice possibilities and coincidences (or co-inky-dinks, as we say in my family) that cause the twists and turns of our lives.  Each of these twists has a purpose, whether we are aware of the purpose, or not.

Take, for example, my parents.  They are both in heaven, probably dancing, golfing or playing Bridge.  I loved hearing the stories of how they met and looking at the pictures of their first years together.  My mom, originally from New York, was a student at Missouri Valley College, and my dad, originally from California, was in the Navy, stationed at the same school for training.  He was dating my mom's roommate.  If the roommate was not ready to leave for a date when my dad arrived (which was often because my dad was always early), my mom would sit and talk with him while he waited.  One thing led to another and soon they were dating and my mom's roommate was not.  Fortunately, there was another great guy waiting in the wings for the roommate.

My mom was the Editor of the school newspaper, and she was not afraid to exercise her First Amendment right.  The Navy had a football team that played against the school's team for practice.  She wrote about a game where there were questionable calls, as well as, questionable tactics involved.  In essence, she blasted the Navy's team! I think her courage and assertiveness made my dad love her even more! This cost her the Editor's position, but she got over it.

My mom graduated, joined the Navy, and married my dad on a weekend leave.  The rest went according to The Plan. Theirs is a great story, with so much more to tell...another post!

This post is brought to you by the effervescent Mama Kat at Mama's Losin' It.  Each week she provides writing prompts from her Pretty Much World Famous Writer's Workshop, to her writer followers with a challenge to crank up our brain muscles.  Please click on the link above to visit Mama Kat and read some great stories from some very talented bloggers!  Thanks for stopping by today!


Mama’s Losin’ It

3 comments:

John Holton said...

Your folks are probably playing bridge with mine. Great story.

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I really think it is interesting how people meet.
I am a new follower.

http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2016/02/8-virtual-valentines-i-am-giving-out.html

KatBouska said...

Gotta love a woman who isn't afraid to do the right thing, even at the risk of her job. What a great story!