Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fry An Egg on The Sidewalk!



Its sizzle time here in the Midwest! We are cookin’ today! Thanks to Doc Brown (Back to the Future – 1985) for inventing air conditioning…whew! I just cannot imagine how people made it through the heat 100 years ago. I know how they made it through, but trying to imagine how to keep one’s sanity when in a constant state of sweating amazes me to no end. I especially applaud those who were full-figured like me who possessed those wonderful love handles, folds and parts that came in contact with each other when walking! I would have been one of those really cranky ladies who screamed at everyone!

I remember visiting my grandmother in New York during the peak of the summer. Coming from Southern California, which had a much dryer atmosphere, I really hated the humidity. But having deli sandwiches for dinner every night was a real treat for me! She also served these great lemon sugar cookies for dessert each night. For the right food, I would put up with almost anything!

I was an attendant at my cousin’s wedding in Harrison, NY, when I was young and stupid. The reception was at a home on Long Island. Humidity and body of water…what a great combination. After the reception, I accompanied my cousin, her new husband, and various friends on an outing which was held from midnight to 6:00 a.m. We toured the Lower East Side of New York City. There were only supposed to be about 100 people attending this event, however, over 1,000 showed up. Fortunately, we had New York’s Finest chaperoning the event, in autos, on horses and on foot. At 2:00 a.m. in the morning, the temperature was 92 degrees and the humidity was 92%. What a treat! I remember coming home, lying in the back seat of a car at 6:30 a.m. the next morning. I was tired, drenched, and unaware of my surroundings…and I did not have any trace of alcohol in my body since it had left me through perspiration eight hours earlier. Pure and simple exhaustion! I slept for 12 hours!


How, do you ask, does this have anything to do with my blog? (I am trying to write posts that have some sort of continuity with self-improvement, be it weight loss, organization, or dealing with really whacked family members.) I guess I just wanted to share a part of my memory while I still have it, and at the same time offer up stupid things not to do.

Please stop by again when I discuss how not to fight City Hall!

1 comment:

Chris H said...

I hate being too hot...or too cold! When I was really really obese I WAS that screaming hot crabby woman sweating all over the place! NOT GOOD.