Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Celebration Trip


This past weekend, I flew (on an airplane, not my broom) to Ontario, California. I chose Ontario, because it's the closest airport to Corona. Why Corona? Well, I heard there was a huge party happening in Corona, and I really wanted to be a part of it.

The party was at Pat & Joan's house, although Pat was not in attendance. You see, Pat left this world in December of last year. His new adventure took him to a place where the waves are narly, the dudes are totally awesome and the surf is up 24/7! Knowing that he was doing what he loved made the toasts with Budweisers much more fun and meaningful.



There were hugs, kisses, tears and recognition of long time friends; and that was just family members! The alcohol flowed freely, the beans, rice and quesadillas never ran out, and to the amazement of moi, nobody got sick...at least not in my direction! But the best part of the whole day was living Pat's life through pictures that had been lovingly attached to poster boards.



Pat touched the hearts of everyone he met. He made people feel like they were his best friends. There were neighbors old and new, high school buds, co-workers, and grown men and women who spent the best days of their youth playing Hide and Seek and riding bikes with him. Stories of embarrassment, encouragement and events that were kept secret until now, could be heard coming from every room in the house, as well as the Oingo Boingo Lounge itself. The "Lounge" was Pat's special place to relax, watch TV, play card games and entertain friends...and it was located in the garage!

During the height of the party, we were greeted with rainshowers. The showers increased and were joined by thunder and lightning. We all couldn't believe the unusual weather for February, especially the lightning. It was the consensus of all that Pat had joined the party and was thanking everyone for coming.

I spent the following day with Joan, her friend Carly, and Joan's children. We bathed in the predictable sunshine and blue skies that follow Southern California's rainstorms. I think my brother, Pat, was there with us. The day was perfection in it the purest form.

It was a great trip! I wrote this at the suggestion of Mama's Losin'It via her Writer's Workshop blog. Click here or on the logo below to visit Mama Kat, and check out her stories, and some of the other stories that were written by her fans!

Mama's Losin' It

Do you have a favorite trip?

13 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

I'm sorry he is gone, happy is memories live on. He sounds like a amazing brother.

Miss. C said...

What a great post and truly amazing person! It sounds like you celebrated his honor the way he would have wanted you to!

Farmers Wifey said...

What a great story, thanks for sharing...visiting from Mama Kats xx

Jeanie said...

It's nice that he was remembered by so many in a way that was just right for him.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! See, when I go, I don't want people moping, I want a huge party, with music and dancing and party games! A real blast of a birthday party for my new life. Sounds like that's what Pat got and he woulda just loved it! Way to go!

Ebie said...

What a way to celebrate life and your remembrance of Pat is so touching!

P.S. Is the photo from a boneyard? Me and my daughter are planning to visit the airplane boneyard here in the Mojave desert on a weekday, where they offer a 20 minute tour. It would be a great photo op.

Thanks for the nice comments on my blog.

Los said...

This was a great post - I want friends and family to do the same thing when I die - laugh, cry, tell funny stories ... and drink!

Chris H said...

What a lovely get-together that must have been.

Joanna Jenkins said...

What a wonderful celebration and way to remember your brother. He sounds like he as an amazing guy.

xo

Unspoken said...

What an amazing celebration of his life.

Claudya Martinez said...

I'm glad you went and celebrated your friends life.

Marla said...

So sorry for your loss. I'm glad to hear you made it there to celebrate his life with people you love.

Michelle ~ said...

pat, girlfriend.... love the photos and the party looks like a great one! wonderful story ... thank you for sharing your life and your heart! and BTW, thanks for my bday wishes!! loved them