Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Just a Spoonful of Sugar....
Hello from a favorite meme of mine which is sponsored by Wednesday Wickedness. Each week,the lovely Janera posts ten quotes from a well-known celebrity, and then poses 10 questions for us to answer following each quote. This week's celebrity is one of my all-time favorites, Julie Andrews. Her performance in Mary Poppins placed the acting seed in me. Although my life has changed paths, I will always have a special place for her in my heart. Thank you Ms. Andrews!
I hope you enjoy her quotes and my sometimes off the wall responses!
1. “All love shifts and changes. I don't know if you can be wholeheartedly in love all the time.” Have ever felt that you’ve been in love with someone constantly over a long period of time?
Like Brad or George, or maybe even Kevin? Actually, I've been married for 34 years. I think love played a part in that. (And maybe some money, some luck and being in the right place at the right time!)
2. “I am an optimistic lady.” How optimistic are you?
Optimistic about what? That I will win the lottery, that I will lose 100 pounds, that my kids will buy me a beach house? Yeah, it could happen! At this point in my life, I am very optimistic. I spent a good deal of my life with negative feelings, and it was a lot of hard work. It's much easier (and since I like things to be uncomplicated) to think, hope and pray for good things to happen.
3. “I don't think today's younger audience... would even know what 1920s musicals were like.” Do you have any knowledge of 1920 films or musicals? If yes, any favorites?
As much as I love movies and theatre, you'd think I could rattle off a bunch of older movies, but my talents do not include photographic memory. I loved the old musicals and dancing movies. I am reminded of the song from A Chorus Line, "At The Ballet", where everyone is beautiful. Watching those movies, as well as, today's song and dance shows, make me feel a part of them as if I were on stage and involved. That feels good.
4. “I hate the word wholesome.” Play word association. I say “wholesome” and you say:
5. “I have always wished I could learn to be a potter. I love collecting ceramics; it would be so fulfilling to create something lovely.” What have you always wished that you could be?
6. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” Tell us about something that you had to persevere through.
Childbirth...but I am not going to do it 16 more times. I'm not crazy!
7. “Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.” How do you define your self discipline?
It can't be defined...I have none.
8. “Sometimes opportunities float right past your nose. Work hard, apply yourself, and be ready. When an opportunity comes you can grab it.” Have you ever missed a golden opportunity?
Do you have a few hours? My reference above to "being in the right place at the right time" is something with which I am not familiar! I did have an opportunity to apply for a position as a flight attendant, but bailed because I was afraid of losing a boyfriend. I also found myself walking to the admissions office of a law school when I realized that not only did I have no money, I would have to put off having children. I wanted to be a mom without too many other stresses. Oh, and I once auditioned for "The Dating Game", but I tried too hard to be funny, which wasn't really who I was at the time. Moral: Be yourself!
9. “In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and... SNAP! The job's a game!” Have you ever had that perfect job that was always entertaining?
Yes. My job as a mom has always been entertaining...not always fun, but always entertaining!
10. “Sometimes I'm so sweet even I can't stand it.” Has anyone ever considered you as sweet?
Yes, the students at the middle school where I work. They think I'm really sweet when I write them late passes to class!
Thanks for stopping by! Please pop over to the Wicked Lady at Wednesday Wickedness and say hello! Just click on the logo below!