Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Better Day


I attended a healthy lifestyle (weight loss) meeting on Tuesday. It's a class that meets once a month. We are supposed to log onto a Weight Management web site and set up an account to track our food and exercise. It looks good on paper, but is this writer up to the challenge? Can she be accountable to a web site? Is she ready to commit to becoming a healthier writer? We shall see!

In the past, being accountable to another person has been helpful for me. I joined a support group about 20 years ago and worked with a food sponsor. I called her the "General." She made me account for every minute of the day, every piece of food that went into my mouth, and every piece of writing I accomplished. The bottom line is that I lost 50 pounds in six months. I've never been back to that weight, that sponsor, or that feeling of accomplishment. But, I have never given up hope that I could make changes. It's just so darn hard!

The way I see it, it's a matter of intake and output. It is really quite simple. Why do we drive ourselves nuts with all the sidebar stuff? If one consumes 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day, one must run a marathon every other day...right? Piece of cake, no?

So, I commit to tracking my bad-girl behavior for the next six months. I commit to lowering the calorie intake, and increasing exercise. Ewwwww...I can't believe I said that!

I would be more than happy to support anyone out there going through this type of lifestyle change, and likewise, would really appreciate anything coming this way!

Hope your day is healthy!

3 comments:

Chris H said...

I keep commiting myself to tracking and exercising too... just have trouble following through! Good luck mate.

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Recently, I recommitted to exercising regularly again too. Up until this point it was impossible with my son (now 3) running around. It's been about 5 months now, it's gotten easier and I'm seeing results.

So good luck! When you're feeling like you don't want to exercise just remember that wonderful feeling when you notice that your jeans are a little bit looser. (I love that feeling!)

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I find I do better when I have a partner in crime, but it's equally bad if we help each other derail one another!

So ... how's it going!

Like you said on my blog--gotta love a challenge!