Saturday, October 13, 2012

Crunch, munch...


Welcome to Saturday Centus, a weekly writing challenge produced by Jenny Matlock of Off On My Tangent.  Each Saturday, we are given a prompt, picture, or some other fancy of Jenny's to write about using a pre-ordained number of words (this week it is 100 words plus the prompt).  The prompt this week is "the leaves crunched under my boots until they didn't" and appears in bold below.  Hope you enjoy! 


"Oh, for Pete's sake!  I just raked yesterday!  Will you give me a break?"  I cried as I looked out the living room window.

I walked out to the front yard, rake in hand and grumbling.  I pulled my sweatshirt hoodie over my yet-to-be coiffed head of hair.  It was 40 degrees outside and I had left my favorite jacket at work!

Crunch, munch, rake...repeat.  As I approached the sidewalk, the leaves crunched under my boots until they didn't.  There was something soft, not crunchy, under my foot.  Not only was it soft, but it was wiggly.  The rake dropped and I was warm again...in the living room!


Thanks for stopping by Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus!  Please click on her logo below to see some great, short reads from many of her friends!  Enjoy this beautiful fall weekend!

Jenny Matlock

12 comments:

nancygrayce said...

Love it!

Gail said...

Great take on the prompt.

anitamombanita said...

hahaha...I was sure you were going to leave us with a squishy earth worm!! :) well done!

21 Wits said...

So you went for a true story! Ha! Ha! I love it- it reminds me of the days of needing to rake and rake, now out here in the country not so much raking needed, the wind just carries them away until there is no more crunching!

lissa said...

I think I would run too, great take on the prompt.

have a good day.

betty said...

What a cute writing prompt like this; you expressed it well in the 100 words; I like the "crunch, munch, rake....repeat". That's about it with raking leaves until they are all done! We don't rake that many years here in Southern California, but I remember the "joys" of raking leaves when we lived in Montana.

Have a great Sunday!

betty

Judie said...

Yikes, Liz! I'd be running for the living room, too! Love this!!

Anonymous said...

I don't like soft and wiggly either! :)
Nicely done.

Esther Joy said...

Must have been a worm! Sometimes there can be some really long nasty looking earthworms that almost look like little snakes! They make me want to run, too!

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Love it! I wrote a similar true stroy about pet worms and leaves. Thanks for the follow, following back.

http://grannyanniedevotions.blogspot.com/search/label/Pet%20Worms

Claudya Martinez said...

Ewww!

Jenny said...

Crunch, munch, rake...repeat...

I remember those days when I lived back east.

I liked the twist at the end.

Very cool take on the prompt.