Thursday, February 26, 2009

Any Ideas for Lent?


My immediate family is composed of six members. Five of these members are of the Roman Catholic faith and one is of the Dutch Reformed faith. I am the latter. I never had to give up anything at Easter. Quite the contrary, I always got a ton of candy and toys! I grew up thinking that Mardi Gras was just another excuse for having a parade and getting drunk. It never occurred to me that it could be anything else. How can a day of the week be fat? I thought only people and animals were fat!

Since we began raising our children in the Roman Catholic faith,(for which I signed a binding document promising to raise them Catholic in order to have permission to wed in the Catholic church) I tried to set an example by giving something up for Lent every year. A few days ago, Princess Katya asked me what I was giving up this year. I laughed in my best Mike Meyers "muwahhaha" voice and told her that I wasn't Catholic and therefore I didn't have to give up anything! I was a little too pleased with my response.

She looked at me and exclaimed "moooooooommmmmmm!" in her best royal voice, and then left the room in disgust. I felt really guilty. I didn't have to be so pretentious about it. So, I began thinking of what vice or addiction that I have which I could feasibly give up for 40 days without doing harm to myself or my family. I simply could not come up with anything. I have beaten the sugar addition a few million times...no, that would be too easy. Give up TV...are you nuts!! I could stop cooking meals and make everyone "make their own dinner" for the next month or so. No, I already do that at least once or twice a week.

I decided to go read some of my favorite blogs. I came across a wonderful idea for Lent; one in which I wouldn't have to give up anything that I love. As a matter of fact, this idea is something that I love very much, so I really can't honestly say that I will be giving up anything! My blogger friend, Dawn Meehan at BECAUSE I SAID SO made the suggestion to find someone during the day who could be the recipient of a random act of kindness. It could be giving up a parking space, place in line, the last copy of David Cook's new CD that was on the shelf, etc. Do you see what I mean? I just love this idea! It takes very little effort, and once it is done, you can enjoy the great feeling of having made someones day a little brighter.

So, I plan to sneak around and do nice things for people for the next 39 days. Today, I let all of the other secretaries have the leftover donuts from the 8th grade breakfast. I didn't have one! (Normally, I would have been shoving them into my pockets, or disguising them as fruit from the fridge wrapped in paper towels.)
I can't wait to see what opportunities arise tomorrow!

Give it a shot! I think you will be surprised at how good it will make you feel! You may even get giddy and start singing old Motown songs like, "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" or "Respect!"

3 comments:

Chris H said...

I always try to do one nice thing for someone every day anyway! And I try to make it a stranger... or a neighbour... it is a nice feeling to be kind. And my motto is "what goes around comes around".

noexcuses said...

I'm totally with you Chris!

Lora said...

This is great!
I'm not Catholic either, but I always like to take this time to at least be AWARE of some of the crap that I should be giving up, even if I don't actually DO it.

Also, thanks for stopping by my blog! And for the comment. I clicked over to your profile and you completely had me at the fact that your dog isn't a transvestite. You're hilarious! I'm hooked!