Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Wednesday Wickedness - Dolly Style!
Welcome to this always fascinating meme sponsored by Wednesday Wickedness. Each week, Janera posts quotes from a well-known celebrity, and then poses questions to the reader following the quotes. This week's meme posts quotes from the Queen of Country, Dolly Parton! I hope you enjoy her quotes and my sometimes off the wall responses!
1. "I hated school. Even to this day, when I see a school bus it's just depressing to me. The poor little kids." What was your worst year in school? Why?
I think my worst year in school was my senior year in high school. I didn’t make the cheer squad; thereby, I was unable to do the captain of the football team. I gained back the 30 pounds I lost over the summer, and then gained some more. It wasn’t bad enough not having a date to the prom, but the four boys who I asked couldn’t (or wouldn’t) go with me. But the on the day of graduation, I didn’t cry. I couldn’t wait to get out and start my new life!
2. "I still close my eyes and go home - I can always draw from that." Tell us about YOUR home.
My home was fantastically dysfunctional! I loved being around my family, and then I couldn’t wait to be alone. I managed to get just enough of both. When I close my eyes, I can draw from the psychedelic images that appear when I rub my closed eyes!
3. "I'm not going to limit myself just because people won't accept the fact that I can do something else." What have you been told that you couldn’t do, but proved them wrong?
I was told by a parent that they “just didn’t see me as a career woman.” If one considers a legal secretarial position a career, then I proved them wrong. I also had my own typing business for a year. It didn’t work out, but I was my own boss for the duration. I showed ‘em!
4. "I'm old enough and cranky enough now that if someone tried to tell me what to do, I'd tell them where to put it." What was the last incident where you were told what to do and were insulted?
Well, Dolly…do you have a couple of hours? I’m old and cranky, too! And, I’m a mom of teenagers; you know what I’m talking about!
5. "If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one." Have you ever reinvented yourself? How?
I try to reinvent myself about every two or three years, whether or not I need it! I can no longer color my hair…too much gray! But, if I could have hair like you Dolly, I would color it in a heartbeat! When I want to make a change, I use the Pro and Con sheet. Whichever side has the longest list…wins!
6. "If you talk bad about country music, it's like saying bad things about my momma. Thems fightin' words." Is there a type of music that you hate?
Hate is such an ugly word, Dolly! I don’t like anything that I can’t dance to. We used to call country music “cry-baby” music. Then I developed an appreciation for Blue Grass, but that’s only a part of Country. It’s still “cry-baby” music!
7. "It's a good thing I was born a girl, otherwise I'd be a drag queen." Have you ever crossed dressed for Halloween or just for the hell of it?
Oh yeah! I cross-dressed just the other night when I gave out candy at the door. I put on hiking boots and tucked my shirt in. When you have white hair, you look like anybody’s gram or gramps! At least I didn’t scare anyone. I also cross-dressed when I was 10 and we were playing Robin Hood. It was an all-girl group and all but one other girl were too prissy to run around with no top on!
8. "My weaknesses have always been food and men - in that order." What are your weaknesses?
My weaknesses are food and men – in that order.
9. "The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." Tell us about something that you did that required patience, but was worth it.
I went through labor four times… 46 hours; 36 hours; 28 hours; 24 hours.
10. "We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails." When was the last time you made a major change in your life?
When I attended my first 12-Step meeting. “Hello, my name is No Excuses, and I am a procrastinator.” Seriously, 20 years ago, I attended my first meeting. It opened my eyes and gave me a new take on the Big Guy. It also made me a more accepting person. I stopped throwing coffee at super models.
Thanks for the visit! Please pop over to the Wicked Lady and say hello! Just click on the logo for Wednesday Wickedness below!
Happy Hump Day!